Friday, April 3, 2020

When Maharashtra Police cancelled a parallel, bigger Tablighi Jamaat event to avoid Covid-19 spread

The Tablighi Jamaat event on March 14 was supposed to be attended by thousands of devotees including a large number of foreign delegates. Nizamuddin Markaz
People from the Nizamuddin Markaz being taken to hospitals in Delhi. (PTI)




Divyesh Singh-Mumbai


Even as the government continues to gauge the impact of the huge gathering at Nizamuddin Markaz that has risked thousands of lives, sources say the Tablighi Jamaat had planned for an even bigger event in Vasai, Mumbai on March 14.


The Tablighi Jamaat was supposed to be attended by thousands of devotees including a large number of foreign delegates.

According to police, permissions for the event had been sought in January and Palghar Police had even granted permission. The Inspector General of Police, Konkan Range, Niket Kaushik called for a meeting with Superintendent of Police, Palghar district, Gaurav Singh and discussed details of the event and number of people expected to attend.

Upon learning that the event was to be attended by thousands of people and also foreign nationals amid the coronavirus pandemic, the decision was taken to withdraw permission and the event was cancelled.

"There were growing numbers of Covid-19 cases in March and the event organised was to be attended by thousands of people which also included foreign nationals. This would increase the threat of community spread of coronavirus cases and so we decided to cancel the permissions," said Niket Kaushik, IG, Konkan Range of Maharashtra police.

The timely action by police officials prevented a massive community spread of the pandemic to an even greater extent from what we see unfolding after the Nizamuddin event of Tabliqi Jamaat.

The nationwide lockdown was not in place, people were still going to work, public transport was functioning and amid all this community spread would have been uncontrollable leading to thousands of positive cases by the time the lockdown was imposed.

"We took the decision on March 6 to cancel the permission for the event and we believe that it was a wise call," said Gaurav Singh, SP, Palghar Police.

Several people who attended the event at Nizamuddin Markaz have already died after being tested positive for coronavirus while several hundreds have now been quarantined.

A nationwide search for thousands who attended the Delhi event is going on to stop further spread of the virus which has already infected over 2000 people in India.

The central government as well as the state governments have appealed to people who attended the event to come forward and get themselves tested for Covid-19 in order to contain the spread of the pandemic.-India Today

1 comment:

  1. very interesting , good job and thanks for sharing such a valuable topic.
    Get Complete Call Center Solutions & boost your call center's performance.
    We offer Call Center Solutions based on your needs.

    ReplyDelete

Find the post useful/interesting? Share it by clicking the buttons below